While Canvas Assignments offers an online submission type called Media Recordings, Kaltura’s My Media is the College’s preferred video management tool for video assignments.
- In your Canvas course, click the Assignments link
- Click the + button to add a new assignment to the group assignment block
- The Add Assignment to … dialog box will display. Click More Options to expand the Assignment page
- The Create new assignment page is displayed
- In the Assignment Name text box, type the name of your assignment
- In the text box, type the assignment instructions (Use the Rich Content Editor to add images, text, links, equations, or insert media)
- In the Points text box, type the highest grade students can receive
- In the Assignment Group drop-down list, select the group that the assignment will be a part of
- In the Submission Type drop-down list, select Online
- For the Online submission type, select Text Entry in the online entry options. Text Entry uses the Rich Content Editor which has Kaltura as a media tool
The option Media Recordings uploads media (video/audio) into your Canvas course which has a limited (5.2Gb) file space. Kaltura’s file space is approximately 150Tb and is a streaming media server able to transmit media at various internet speeds. By using Kaltura instead, students can submit an audio or video recording into their My Media that fulfills the assignment. They can either record new media or upload existing media.
- Select the due date and the available from dates
- Save and publish the assignment
- Your saved video assignment will now be displayed
- To add a rubric, click Add Rubric if needed
- Speedgrader is available to view each student completed video and to add grades and comments
- Your students will now be able to select this video assignment to upload their video work.